Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One Step Further Along

Sunday afternoon after having my son-in-law help me cut a piece of plywood , I proceeded to try to cover it with sheet metal to make a counter top for my workbench island .




The 3 x 8 ft. piece of sheet metal only cost me $18.00 from a supply store. and the plywood was free . It was sitting in my son-in-laws carport .




After spending 2 hours cutting the extra 2 ft. of sheet metal off the end .




Yes it took me two hours ! I did it by hand with metal shears. With a lot of breaks in between . but I was determined to do this .




Then I started to cover the plywood with said piece of sheet metal.




Now I’m sure there is a better way to do this , But I’m flying by the seat of my pants here , and like I said , I was determined to do this.




This picture shows 3 sides bent down using a hammer to do the work.




011




By the time I got to this point I was getting pretty tired , I started this job about one o-clock and it’s now nearly five . So I called son-in-law over , Thank goodness they live next door ! He helped me proceed from there .




Did I tell you I was determined to get this done ?




Getting there !




010




012




Ah here we go ! It took us two more hours , but we did it !




Thank you Ryan !




014




I want to put some brackets on the side that extends out , It doesn’t really need it but I think it will look better .




Now it’s time to dress it up !




Let’s step back into the 50’s .




006




018




015




012




The stool I have sitting there now is too short for the counter , so I ordered two wooden stools on line that are painted white with wood tops , they are 30 inches tall and will better fit this bar height island .




I love it !!




See what determination can do !




Because there is a lot of white in my kitchen I’m going to link this with Kathleen’s




White Wednesday .




Be sure to stop by Faded Charm and see all that wonderfull white !


And with Miss Mustard Seed for Furniture Feature Friday.




http://www.whisperwoodcottage.com/2012/04/talent-scouting-party-open-call-for-all.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+whisperwoodcottage+%28WhisperWood+Cottage%29

13 comments:

  1. Oh WOW!!! It Looked Great the Last I saw but now WOW!!! it looks Fantastically AMAZING!!!! : ) GREAT GREAT GREAT dress up session....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely COOL!! Wow, I love that island so much! Very inspiring. Your kitchen is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, I admire your determination!, I would love to do something like that in my kitchen. Thank you for sharing.
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like me. I have found that Google is my friend when I can't figure out how to do something. They always have an answer to my question. You go girl!!!!! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of supply store did you get your sheet metal at?
    Loraine-Breakfast For Dinner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, Sharon!!! you must have the patience of Job!
    Pink Hugs,
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. What an amazing job...you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out wonderful! Two hours cutting the metal? I would have given up long before then. ha!!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I know you are going to enjoy it...it looks great...especially with your pretties on top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving your work island creation and your Retro Kitchen color palette & collections! So inviting & cheerful...

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way! That workbench is fabulous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully done! Much more character than those prefab models. And lucky you to have helping hands!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow~ love it and your determination too
    It turned out amazing great job
    xxoo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete